Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I feel the earth move under my feet.

The sky didn't come tumbling down, but my Mom and I got to experience another earthquake together. We had a minor one here where I live about two years ago. Just a big boom and some vibrations. When I was little, that one threw my sister right out of the bed. Today, my Mom and I had just walked into the A C Moore in Deptford to use the bathroom (that was my excuse to get in there), when all of a sudden all the stuff on the walls started shaking. The next thing we're both being moved back and forth with the building. It's weird having the floor under you move and watching the walls of the building sway. We went to the front checkout and asked if anyone else felt it. Of course they all said yes, and one woman who just came in said her car and the others on the road had been bumping up and down.

I had to admit I was a little panicky when my Mom said that maybe the nuclear plant where we lived exploded (or any other chemical plant in the area for that matter), so I tried calling people back home. All the lines were busy or there was no connection at all. My sis finally got a text through to me and she said the news said it was a 6.0 earthquake in Virginia (later it was downgraded to 5.8). Needless to say I was relieved. An earthquake I can handle. Chemical plants blowing up the town are another ball of wax. Anyone who has ever felt an explosion of a chemical plant (I have a number of times as a child) can tell you how scary it is.

I did make a purchase while I was there. I bought a paper rack for forty percent off, so it cost me under $50.00. But the charge ended up being over $50.00 because I bought two different color Distress Inks that were on sale for thirty percent off.

So there you have it. A day out with my Mom, an earthquake, and a great scrapping deal. Just another average day in my life.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment