Saturday, July 23, 2011

Words Can Hurt

Words can hurt more than getting hit. I've blogged before about how people always want me to look or act different than I am. It keeps happening. I won't name names, but last week I saw a relative. Someone I really love and care for, and they took one look at my hair and just stared at it. Then said they liked it the way it was the last time I had it cut, and right now it just looked not all that flattering. I would never say anything like that because I know how much it would hurt them, but here it was, tossed in my face like a bucket of cold water. It still bothers me a week later. Every time I look in the mirror, all I can think is does everyone else think the same thing? I was happy with it. I still am in a way, but that true happiness was sucked away from those words and that look. It's no wonder I have a constant fight with my body image when everyone from my husband, to family, and friends, always feel compelled to tell me that they think there's something wrong with how I look, talk, or act.

Do me a favor. If you're about to say something not so nice to a friend or family member...don't do it. Keep your negative thoughts to yourself. The only one you're helping is your own ego.

4 comments:

  1. I have nothing to say other than -- that stinks. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me guess...must have been an older relative. In my family, a lot of the "older" generation thinks they can say whatever they want and they don't realize how it hurts people. And the worst part is they don't have any clue. I am sorry for your hurt feelings. I have told you before, I always love your hair and no matter what you do with it, it looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you have to deal with this. People are so cruel sometimes. Just be who you are and let everyone else deal with their opinions on their own

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mom's always saying things like that, so I know how you feel. You just have to develop a thick skin and learn not to take any notice. So long as you're happy who gives a stuff what others think. I wish my daughter was here to read your post. She said something like that to my mom and I tried to explain she shouldn't but all she kept saying was that you should always tell the truth. At least she has the excuse of only being 7 and I hope I'll be able to teach her better ways.

    ReplyDelete